Friday, October 06, 2006

Back from London and Paris!!!

The weather was beautiful and the Rowan yarns at Liberty were even more gorgeous. Although there was no Liberty sale, I still picked up a few magazines, 5 balls of KidSilkHaze (much cheaper than here) and a 5 balls of Cotton Braid for a simple top.

Photos to follow in the next post (camera still needs to down/up load 500+ travel photos!!!)...

In the meantime, here is some information about me for Soctoberfest.

* When did you start making socks?
~ July 2005, when I first arrived in Toronto and was homeless & jobless.

* Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?
~ I taught myself to knit socks from a pattern: a free pattern from Patons for their Kroy socks yarn. Unfortunately, the Patons website seems to have stopped linking the pattern for free. :( (NOTE: This pattern can be found here.)

*
What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?
~ From a jacquard Confetti DGB yarn. I didn't and still don't like the jacquard pattern at all - instead I prefer stripes, blotches or just plain sock yarn. Being a rare-swatcher and insisting on substituting yarn, the sock was very loose... and I now use it to keep my feet moisurized after at-home-foot-spas.

* What would you have done differently?

~ I would either use the recommended yarn or use smaller DPNs.

* What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?

~ So far, I've been cheap with sock yarns. Have only worked with Confetti DGB yarn (can't remember!), Patons Kroy (still love the colors) and Sheepjes Invicta Extra (pretty heather colors but splits easily).

* Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?
~ Have only knit and used DPNs... seems too much hassle to buy 2 circulars of the same size and the method looks complicated!

* Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)

~ I like the flap heel from the Patons books. The slip stitches create a tougher fabric more suitable for a heel.

* How many pairs have you made?

~ Three. Spa socks for myself, one pair for mommy and one pair for daddy.

Many half done socks all over the place - one Baudelaire sock originally for Sister B (but too small so tossed aside), half a Sister C sock (tossed aside) and half a simple sock in the wrong color (hence, tossed aside). Now working on Sister B sock. Hopefully, first Sister B sock will be ready for the next post!

3 comments:

yuvee said...

Wow, the trip must've been fun!

jacquieblackman said...

Welcome back! You must tell us all about your Rowan experience. Oh, and your trip in general. See you on Wednesday?? :-)

alltangledup said...

Interestingly you've only used sock yarns that I have never used. So you were on my side of the pond... recently? btw, The sales are July and January.