We're lonely no more!!!... so happy together!
1) Purple socks for Sister B (Patons Kroy Winter Eclipse)
You wouldn't believe there was such a headache from such basic socks. For the first sock I experimented using a tubular cast on from Vogue Knitting The Ultimate Knitting Book. It uses a slip stitch method similar to this. The cast-on flared a bit so the second sock, I tried a different tubular cast-on using a folding-over method. Some good tutorials of the method can be found here and here.
The problem? The cast-ons (probably my fault) looked completely different and I ended up with two fraternal socks! So being a perfectionist, I thought of the brilliant idea of ripping out the rib, casting-on with new yarn, re-knitting the rib, then grafting the pieces together. (Note: I've never attempted grafting before this ambitious exercise). What the hell was I thinking?! The grafting looked TERRIBLE. At the end, I ripped out the ribbing and folllowed Gray La Gran's suggestion of picking up the stitches and ribbing toe-up.
Yet another obstacle... I've never tubular cast-off before! Luckily, the Ultimate Vogue Book came in handy and after a few failed attempts, SUCCESS!
The socks are still fraternal. If you look closely at the rib, one sock has the knit "v"s pointing downwards the toe and the other sock has "v"s pointing to the cuff. Oh well, no one's going to look THAT closely at the ribbing???
2) Green/Blue socks for Sister C (Patons Kroy Krazy Stripes)
These went by quickly. I like stripes... it kept me going because I was anxious to reach a new color and the stripes made counting rows easier. The colors more-or-less matched between the socks. *smile*
YAY! The socks aren't lonely any more!
However... my sock yarn inventory is still sitting in the orphan basket, crying "knit me, knit me". Which one should I pick up and save next?
Back Row (from left to right)
- (brown & yellow) Opal Yarn, to become cable socks
- (lavendar & yellow) Opal Yarn Rainforest, to become ribbed socks
- (rose & burgundy) Regia Canadian Colors Ontario, to become...?
- (lavendar and cream) Regia Canadian Colors Quebec, to become Pomatomus
Middle Row (from left to right)
- (multicolored skeins) Koigu Painters Palatte, to become BFF
- (fuschia) Handmaiden/Fleece Artist, to become ...?
- (red) Patons Kroy Paint Box, to become Retro Rib Sock
- (red, orange, cream) Lana Grossa, to become ribbed socks
Bottom Row (from left to right)
- (red & blue) Regia, to become...?
- (fuschia, orange, purple) Patons Kroy Kool Stripes, to beome Jaywalkers
- (dark blue) Scheepjes Invicta, to become Cable Net
- (light blue) Scheepjes Invicta, to continue Patons Lace Panel Socks
Whew! Looks like I'm all stocked up for next year's Socktoberfest!!!