Wednesday, July 07, 2010

My friend adores Elvis so when I came across some Elvis fabric, how could one resist? I chose 2 prints and bought 1/2 yard of each.

I didn't have any projects in mind - Bag? Kitchen mitt? Placemats? Pillowcases? After a few months, I decided to make something for her daughter, Presley:

1) Pillowcase Dress
Although there are quite a few online tutorials for pillowcase dresses, I opted to improvise, which is not a really good idea since I am unfamiliar with baby sizes. Well, it's better to make it too big than small, right? That way, she can wear it as a dress first, then as a tunic once she grows taller. Although I didn't use a pillowcase, the pattern still worked (I think it worked; Presley still needs to try it on).

I used the large print for the body of the dress, then stitched a "ribbon" out from the blue print.
One of the tutorials (sorry, forgot which one!), recommended using bias tape to reinforce the sleeve edge. What a great idea! I have a lot of bias tape on hand and this method produces a very clean & professional-looking edge.2) Twirly Skirt
With the leftover blue print, I made a simple skirt with elastic edging. Again, I have no clue how big Presley is, but I do know she is 2 years old. Googled told me a two year old's waist size is around 20 inches to 21 inches. Again, I improvised. I hope they fit!

No comments: