Sunday, July 19, 2009

Chunky in the Summer

It's summer, but there were a few loose ends I wanted to complete from the winter:

1) Coffee Cup Cozy

My sisters seldom request knitted items. I just push things onto them. So when sister C requested a knitted coffee cup cozy, I was all excited. I spent a lot of time thinking about it. I wanted something with ribbing (to better fit the cup), a few cables (for aesthetics), bulky yarn (thicker) and super soft. It would be a great way to get rid of leftover yarn!Easy peasy! I used a very small ball of leftover Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Superchunky. Casted on 36 stitches with the following stitch pattern: K1, P2, K4 (6 row cable), P2

2) Concentric Vest

Last year, I used Rowan Linen Print to make Sloane. The original pattern was too loose and had no shaping. I attempted to deisgn my own pattern but it looked terrible.

Then I found the Concentric Vest from Teva Durham. I had 4 skeins and it was perfect - the gauge, the twisted ribbon effect, the amount of yarn I had (I have a small ball left). It's the first Teva Durham pattern I've knitted and she's absolutely brilliant! Due to the creative construction, it was not the easiest to understand and there is an errata on the interweave website. But the design was just brilliant.

I made a few modifications: I knit both the 2 fronts in one piece. It took a bit of trial and error (at least 4 times of ripping it out) to figure out the mirroring of short rows. But I got it!!

I love the cables. And it's so warm!

STASHBUSTING METER
Concentric Vest - 4 skeins Rowan Ribbon Twist (100g/60m) @ 10mm

No comments: