Tuesday, February 06, 2007

If only I could ctrl-v...

...I would have 4 new things to wear!

I wish sewing the pieces together was as easy as cut and paste. Ctrl-x, ctrl-v. If only it was that simple!!

I have 4 items awaiting surgery (from left to right):


1) Open Lace Sweater (designed by genius James Coviello) from Vogue Knitting Winter 2002
Yes, you read right. 2002. This pattern re-ignited my interest in knitting. After using the wrong weight yarn to knit the ENTIRE thing which had to be entirely frogged (I know, I should swatch), I finally picked a nice substitute yarn. I really enjoyed knitting the pieces - it's not boring but not really difficult. The knitting was actually completed circa 2004. However, when I think about seaming chunky yarn lace... every time I pick up the pieces, I just toss it back into the stash, somewhere I can't see.
2) Ribbed Cardigan by Debbie Bliss
I knit the body in the round, so this jacket just needs the sleeves attached. Something doesn't add up. I calculated the yardage for yarn substitution (used Mission Falls in lieu of Debbie Bliss aran) but after 98% of the knitting has already been completed, I still have 6-7 skeins of Mission Falls left over!! Where did the savings come from?

3) Ovaltine (girl version) by Rowan
Using Rowan Biggy print, this is one of my frog to re-knit projects. Originally a sleeveless shell, it made me look like a sheep with popsicle limbs. Then it occurred to me that perhaps the yarn would be more suited to make a jacket and voila, Ovaltine seems perfect. I actually had to buy 2 more skeins of Biggy Print and Big Wool to complete this project but it's gonna be soooooooo warm!

4) Gemma by Debbie Bliss
This was one of those projects where I saw the delicious Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Superchunky on sale at 75% off and it didn't matter what project or what color... I JUST HAD TO BUY IT. This yarn is very chunky and a simple turtleneck design is perfect. After piecing part of the sleeves, I decided to replace the bottom 2 inches (in the body) with ribbing.

Guess which one I will tackle first?

5 comments:

yuvee said...

Oohh....my pick would definitely be the 1st sweater! It's going to be gorgeous!

opportunityknits said...

Ovaltine? It looks very intriguing.

Knittypants said...

You have some nice work going on. But finishing can be a bit of a drag. I think I would finish #2 if all it needs are sleeves. Go for the easiest one first and it will give you a boost for the next one.

Little Sesame said...

My guess is #2. I stashed up on some green-ish cashmerino chunky for cheap too... btw, how did you find the biggy print... is it soft enough for kids.

handknit168 said...

the 1st one, are you? For I like the 1st one more. Also I like the others.