Tuesday, February 06, 2007

If only I could ctrl-v...

...I would have 4 new things to wear!

I wish sewing the pieces together was as easy as cut and paste. Ctrl-x, ctrl-v. If only it was that simple!!

I have 4 items awaiting surgery (from left to right):


1) Open Lace Sweater (designed by genius James Coviello) from Vogue Knitting Winter 2002
Yes, you read right. 2002. This pattern re-ignited my interest in knitting. After using the wrong weight yarn to knit the ENTIRE thing which had to be entirely frogged (I know, I should swatch), I finally picked a nice substitute yarn. I really enjoyed knitting the pieces - it's not boring but not really difficult. The knitting was actually completed circa 2004. However, when I think about seaming chunky yarn lace... every time I pick up the pieces, I just toss it back into the stash, somewhere I can't see.
2) Ribbed Cardigan by Debbie Bliss
I knit the body in the round, so this jacket just needs the sleeves attached. Something doesn't add up. I calculated the yardage for yarn substitution (used Mission Falls in lieu of Debbie Bliss aran) but after 98% of the knitting has already been completed, I still have 6-7 skeins of Mission Falls left over!! Where did the savings come from?

3) Ovaltine (girl version) by Rowan
Using Rowan Biggy print, this is one of my frog to re-knit projects. Originally a sleeveless shell, it made me look like a sheep with popsicle limbs. Then it occurred to me that perhaps the yarn would be more suited to make a jacket and voila, Ovaltine seems perfect. I actually had to buy 2 more skeins of Biggy Print and Big Wool to complete this project but it's gonna be soooooooo warm!

4) Gemma by Debbie Bliss
This was one of those projects where I saw the delicious Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Superchunky on sale at 75% off and it didn't matter what project or what color... I JUST HAD TO BUY IT. This yarn is very chunky and a simple turtleneck design is perfect. After piecing part of the sleeves, I decided to replace the bottom 2 inches (in the body) with ribbing.

Guess which one I will tackle first?

4 comments:

opportunityknits said...

Ovaltine? It looks very intriguing.

Anonymous said...

You have some nice work going on. But finishing can be a bit of a drag. I think I would finish #2 if all it needs are sleeves. Go for the easiest one first and it will give you a boost for the next one.

Maryann said...

My guess is #2. I stashed up on some green-ish cashmerino chunky for cheap too... btw, how did you find the biggy print... is it soft enough for kids.

handknit168 said...

the 1st one, are you? For I like the 1st one more. Also I like the others.