Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Wrap Dresses

The dress made famous by DVF. I've always loved her designs and wrap dresses in general, but my body and wrap dresses don't mix. They always end up unravelling or becoming too loose in the front, and I'm constantly paranoid about wardrobe malfunctions. Alas, I attempted to make 2, each from a different pattern:

Butterick 5030

This is the first one from a few months ago. It failed. I didn't like the pattern at all. There's interfacing along the sides to reinforce the edges but I found the collar too flimsy. Then, I attached bias tape around the edge but the collar ended up too stiff. You can't win!! It looks OK on the mannequin but on a person, it's just too stiff. I gave up.
Simplicity 4074

This one actually turned out OK and it's because it's not REALLY a wrap dress. It's a mock wrap! I top stitched the front criss-cross portion. :) It's the first time using the serger that I was not afraid to follow the 5/8 seam allowance and went right ahead and chopped all the fabric off. For once, the garment fit first time around!! ... SUCCESS!

In the meantime, I am going to try to fix the first one.... Stayed tuned!

No comments: